Smooth and refined deliciousness. The Sazerac, credited as being one of the first true cocktails, is a New Orleans take on a traditional rye cocktail. The Federation puts a further spin on the Sazerac. The combination of Anejo tequila instead of rye mixed with creme de cacao leads to a sweeter, richer, cocktail with a more distinct, yet subtle, chocolatey flavor.
For those who are unfamiliar with the types of tequila, there are two broad categories: 100% blue agave, and Tequila Mixto (mixed) which contains a minimum of 51% Blue Agave and 49% from other sugars, most commonly cane sugar. The additional ingredients within Mixto tequila are caramel coloring, oak extract flavoring, glycerin and sugar based syrup.
Whenever possible, you want to look for tequila that is made with 100% blue agave. The categories are further divided into the following five types:
- Tequila Silver (Blanco, White, Platinum)
- Tequila Gold (Javon, Oro)
- Tequila Silver, which includes the first stage of “rested/aged” tequila ranging from 2 months to 11 months.
- Tequila Anejo (extra aged), aged at least one year in smaller barrels (which darkens the tequila).
- Tequila Extra Anos (ultra aged) a new classification for tequila aged more than three years also in smaller barrels.
If you are still interested in reading more about tequila generally, click here to check out some of the best tequilas in the world, there are many. The Federation is a memorable drink and a nice change of pace from a margarita, if you do not know what else to do with tequila. I stumbled upon this rather unknown cocktail in a “must try tequila drinks” section of an article I read awhile back, and boy am I glad I tried it. This recipe calls for Tequila Anejo, but you can try another type if you like. This cocktail is smooth going down and it guaranteed to warm you up even on the coldest nights.
- Pernod (or another Absinthe), for rinsing the glass
- 2 ounces Anejo Tequila
- 1/2 ounce Creme de Cacao
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- orange peel, for garnish
- Step 1 Use a rocks glass and rinse lightly with Pernod. Discard liquid. Add a few pieces of ice to the glass.
- Step 2 Add the tequila, Creme de Cacao and bitters. Gently stir.
- Step 3 Garnish with an orange peel.
3 thoughts on “The Federation Is A Serious And Incredibly Memorable Drink”
Had to try your Federation cocktail. I would never NEVER have thought to mix tequila with creme de cacao. Smooth indeed! Cool looking. Cool tasting. Look forward to rolling that one out on an unexpecting guest who says “Surprise me.”
David, that is awesome. Surprise away 🙂