Everyone needs easy side dish recipes. Well, here you go, it does not get much simpler, or more reliable, than this. Crispy oven roasted carrots and potatoes, aka, sheet pan veggies, that cook up perfectly each and every time. And best part, they can be served with anything you can can think up, from a quick weekday dinner, to a Thanksgiving feast. Save, make and repeat this lovely roasted root vegetable dish all winter long.
To clarify, by “easy“, I’m talking, drizzling with olive oil and stirring once or twice while the vegetables are roasting in the oven and doing their thing–that is it. This is an extremely popular vegetable dish in my house, satisfying my potato-loving older son and my carrot obsessed younger one, all at once. Root vegetables are a natural seasonal go-to this time of year, but I love serving this dish at elaborate holiday meals like Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, or Christmas when I don’t want the sides to steal the show too much.
My go-to, is local, tricolored carrots, these beautiful yellow, white, orange and purple/yellow carrots bring great color and flavor to an otherwise simple dish. Creamy, baby Yukon Gold are my potato of choice, but, truthfully, any carrot or potato combination will work just as well. Good, flavorful Extra Virgin olive oil and fresh thyme are a must–do not use dried thyme, you want get that great earthy flavor that compliments the root vegetables so well.
These roasted carrots and potatoes are not only easy, they are a great prep-ahead dish which is why they are a worthy holiday favorite. Two little things you want to remember when making this recipe; (1) cut the carrots and potatoes into similar sizes. The carrots and potatoes should be roughly equal-sized pieces, or they won’t be done at the same time. And (2) to get them crispy, you should not stirring them too often. Especially the firing the first twenty minutes. The high heat and the sheet pan work together to make the vegetables crispy, if you interrupt the process too much, the magic can’t happen.
Oven Roasted Carrots And Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds tricolored carrots, trimmed, peeled and cit in 3 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves only
- Step 1 Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Step 2 Pat the potatoes and vegetables dry and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and toss well to coat.
- Step 3 Place on the oven roast without stirring for about 20 minutes. Check on the vegetables, stir and if sticking drizzle with more oil. Continue to roast, stirring the vegetables once, for another 20-25 minutes until cooked through and showing some coloration. Once the vegetables are done roasting transfer to a serving plater and garnish with thyme.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin