There comes a time every winter when I start thinking of summer. What can I say, I don’t love the cold, well, unless I’m skiing, but that’s a different story. Typically in the February/March timeframe I start to crave summer foods. Fresh picked strawberries, juicy vine tomatoes, grilled corn and inevitably, my favorite summertime sweet treat, s’mores.
I find the s’mores part ironic, as they are often associated with camping and that is not something I like to do often. But I love s’mores. To be clear, I’m not a fan of the real fancy ones with homemade graham crackers and $20 gourmet chocolate. I like the old-school kind, made with Nabisco graham crackers like I used to eat when I was a kid.
Last winter, around the very same time, I posted my skillet s’more recipe for super easy indoor pan s’mores. This was a response to the s’mores dip craze everyone else seemed to be blogging about but I disliked. This year, I developed these beauties, and they are tasty. These bars are not French, nor are they delicate by any means. They are also not healthful, but I’m totally fine with that.
These bars are however loaded with that summertime feel I miss and long for this time of year. Loaded with crumbled graham crackers, pushed to the limits with chocolate and packed with about as many mini marshmallows as the dough can take without failing to stick together in a bar form altogether. My husband has quickly become a BIG fan and a close friend has nicknamed these “million dollar bars“, that’s the kind of goodness I’m talking about.
So if you’re dreaming about warm sunny summer days like I am or simply have a hankering for a nostalgic childhood treat, try my s’mores bars, and be sure to drop a comment down below to let me know what you think of them.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- dash of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups graham crackers, roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2 Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper leaving enough for overhang. Lightly grease and set aside.
- Step 3 In a large mixing bowl add the cooled melted butter, egg, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla, whisk until smooth.
- Step 4 Mix in the flour and stir until just combined. Add the graham crackers and stir well. Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold in the marshmallows and chocolate chips. Do not over-mix.
- Step 5 Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, use a spatula to smooth out slightly.
- Step 6 Place in the oven and bake until the top is slightly golden and set, about 25 minutes. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 20 minutes before slicing.