Tart, citrusy and boozy is what I was going for with this gin and grapefruit cocktail. And let’s be honest, it’s needed right now. Strip it down and you have a gin and tonic base but the fresh pink grapefruit juice, lemon and mint elevate this classic drink to a whole new playing filed and one I think you’ll love.
This cocktail was inspired by one my good friend and I used to order long ago, way back in my paralegal days in NYC. In hindsight, it was really just a vodka tonic with a splash of grapefruit, but that grapefruit splash made all the difference. We called our drink “the fresher“. Ironic in ways since I’ve never really loved grapefruit, but I learned I loved freshly squeezed grapefruit juice in cocktails. This week I received beautiful California grapefruits in my CSA box, and felt inspired. I decided to modernize the “the fresher” to honor my friend I miss so much. And because I’m stressing about all my friends and family in New York facing such frightening times, I felt like this was an appropriate post for today.
The Gin Craze
While I give a substantial amount of credit to the fresh grapefruit juice, as well as the mint for that matter, thanks goes to the many artisanal distillers who have made gin cool again. Totally serious. In 2018, global consumption of gin grew faster than any other beverage alcohol category.
Gin is a distilled alcoholic drink that derives its predominant flavor from juniper berries (Juniperus communis). Gin is one of the broadest categories of spirits, all of various origins, styles, and flavor profiles. And today, gin is produced in subtly different ways, from a wide range of herbal ingredients, giving rise to a number of distinct styles and brands. After juniper, gin tends to be flavored with botanical/herbal, spice, floral, fruit-flavors or often a combination.
In this recipe I use a gin I have fallen in love with Greenbar Distillary’s City Bright Gin. This local LA Distillary has developed a fantastic complex gin with aromas of spice, lime, juniper, mint and citrus. The name does it justice, it is bright and pops in this modern G&T twist. If you can find it, buy it, it’s that good. But in times like these when commodities are hard to come buy, use what you have, it will still help sooth your anxiousness.
Gin And Grapefruit
- 4 mint leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 2 1/2 ounce Gin (I like Greenbar Distillary Bright Gin)
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed pink grapefruit
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 ounces tonic
- Grapefruit wedge, for garnish
- Step 1 Place a handful of ice in a high-ball glass and set aside.
- Step 2 Using a cocktail shaker, add the mint leaves and using a muddler, muddle the leaves to release the flavor. Add the gin, grapefruit juice and lemon juice. Add a handful of ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Step 3 Double strain into the prepared glass. Top with tonic and garnish with mint sprigs and grapefruit wedge.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin