Oven Roasted Cod With Lemon And Green Olives
Warmer months often cause me to seek simpler meals. Not just time spent in preparation, but dishes that have fewer ingredients. This oven roasted cod with lemon and green olives is just that; light, flavorful and almost effortless. Cod has a lovely mild flavor and while I often like stronger tasting fish, like salmon, cod has a light flavor that’s versatile in many dishes and lacks that “fishiness” that many people are put off by.
Sustainability is something that’s really important to me. It’s one of my main considerations when deciding what to eat, right up there with taste and my desire to feel good. With seafood, it’s especially important. Marine environments are being irreparably damaged by destructive fishing practices. Overfishing is a major issue and one the consumer needs to consider when purchasing fish and seafood.
Many fishing practices are harmful to the marine environment as well, causing irreversible damage the seafloor. We must always be mindful of what we eat and where it’s coming from. When purchasing local seafood, I often use Monterrey Bay Aquarium’s seafood watch app to figure out the best options. And I e courage you to do the same.
The true beauty of this cod with lemon and green olives dish is its simplicity. The oven roasted fish is a rather fool proof method to help you not over cook the fish. And, if you can’t find cod, don’t panic, any white fish you like will work perfectly in this Mediterranean inspired summer dish.
Recipe: Oven Roasted Cod With Lemon And Green Olives
- 20 baby gold potatoes, cut in half
- 3 lemons, sliced
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 20 pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless cod fillets
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Step 2 In a medium saucepan add the potatoes, cover with cold water, place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Step 3 In a large sauce pan or roasting pan, place the lemon slices in a single layer. Place the thyme sprigs, olives and garlic on top of the lemons.
- Step 4 Lay the cod fillets on to of the lemons. Scatter the par-boiled potatoes around the cod fish. Drizzle the olive oil over fish and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 Place in the oven and roast until the fish is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove from the oven and divide fish, potatoes and accompaniments on 4 dinner plates. Serve hot.