Dragon Fruit-Mint Mocktail
Mocktails have become popular go-to drinks year-round, but they peak in popularity in the warmer months. High temps and longer sunny days increase the need for refreshing, flavorful drinks to quench one’s palette, and the bonus is, that they keep you just as hydrated as water. This is my dragon fruit-mint mocktail and it’s just what you need to keep cool in August.
Dragon fruit, (also known as pitahaya or strawberry pear), is a tropical fruit known for its vibrant red skin and sweet, seed-speckled pulp. Its unique look and acclaimed superfood powers have made it popular among foodies and the health-conscious.
The good news is, that you don’t have to live in the tropics (or travel there) to enjoy the many benefits of dragon fruit. You can now find it fresh or frozen in supermarkets around the globe.
Believed Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit:
- Low in calories but rich in vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds such as polyphenols, carotenoids, and betacyanins.
- Dragon fruit contains many kinds of antioxidants; vitamin C, beta-carotene, lycopene, and betalain. Some studies suggest these help reduce the risk of chronic disease and have immune-boosting properties.
- A whopping 7 grams of fiber per serving, makes it an excellent choice for meeting your daily fiber needs.
- Dragon fruit may promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut, which is associated with a healthy gastrointestinal tract.
- Dragon fruit supplies iron along with vitamin C, a combination that may improve your body’s absorption of this important mineral.
- A great source of magnesium, a nutrient needed for over 600 biochemical reactions in your body.
Although I’m new to the dragon fruit craze, I have quickly become a fan. My low-calorie dragon fruit-mint mocktail highlights the amazing delicate tropical flavor of the fruit itself, topped off with a touch of pineapple, lime, and mint. Its bright eye-catching pop of color makes this mocktail a draw for all ages and offers your body essential nutrients, prebiotic fibers, and beneficial plant compounds your body craves.
Kick off August with this refreshing, fruit-forward mocktail, and at least pretend you’re out somewhere cool enjoying it even if you’re only in your backyard.