Easy Quinoa And Oat No-Bake Breakfast Power Bars
It’s a terrible habit, but there are many days I don’t eat breakfast. In fairness, I’m not super hungry first thing in the morning. In a perfect world, I would probably eat breakfast at 10 am; but life is busy and that’s not going to happen. For my boys, who always get up super early, I like to make a hot breakfast: nothing crazy, but something balanced with some type of protein to start them off right, especially on a school day. My husband is super easy and will eat just about anything. So that leaves me, and what to eat. In thinking about what I should or could eat, something small and quick is often where I come out. With that in mind, I came up with this recipe for quinoa and oat breakfast energy bars and they go great with my coffee.
Recipe: Quinoa And Oat Power Bars
- 1/2 cup cooked tri-color quinoa
- 2 cups uncooked oats
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons protein powder
- 2 tablespoons raw shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon chai seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 Line a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper, allowing some overhang and set aside.
- Step 2 Cook the quinoa per the package instructions and cool completely.
- Step 3 In a small mixing bowl add the quinoa and oats, mix well and set aside.
- Step 4 Using a food processor, such as a Cusinart, fitted with a metal blade attachment, add the pitted dates, coconut oil, almond butter, protein powder. Pulse on/off till the dates are mostly chopped and it looks more like a paste. Add the coconut, chai seeds and vanilla extract. Pulse to incorporate.
- Step 5 Add the quinoa-oat mixture to the food processor and pulse on/off to blend, scrapping down the sides as you go.
- Step 6 Using a spatula, scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Using a glass jar or cup, gently put the power bar mixture firmly and evenly into the baking dish. Be sure to go over a second time to make sure it is compressed as much as possible.
- Step 7 Cover and refrigerate for at least on hour to set.
- Step 8 Remove from the refrigerator and using a serrated knife, slice the power bars into the desired size. For best results, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Can be kept for 5 days.