Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Fluffy, moist pumpkin cupcakes with creamy cinnamon cream cheese frosting that are totally dreamy. This is the ultimate seasonal dessert, and one you should baking all season long. If you’re a pumpkin spice lover like I am, you truly can’t go wrong with these incredibly simple, yet flavorful pumpkin cakes.
Cupcakes in History
Technically speaking, Amelia Simmons invented the cupcake. Simmons also cemented herself as the author of the first American cookbook, American Cookery, published in 1796. In her cookbook, Simmons refers to “a light cake to bake in small cups”. Even if her “cakes” were slightly different from the modern-day version we know and love, Simmons is deserving of credit. The first actual reference to a “cupcake” dates back to a 19th-century American author named Eliza Leslie in her cookbook titled “Receipts“.
Cupcake Fun Facts
- The term “cupcake” was first coined in the late 19th century.
- The first cupcake recipes had ingredients measured only by the cupful.
- Cupcakes were originally baked in teacups, ramekins, and small clay pots.
- Roughly 13% of modern-day brides prefer to serve wedding cupcakes over wedding cake.
- Cupcakes in Britain are “fairy cakes“. These cakes consist of a lighter sponge cake with less heavy glacé icing.
- Australian cupcakes are called “patty cakes“, a term made famous by the “Pat-A-Cake” poem.
- Hostess Cupcakes began making cupcakes in the 1950s. Smaller cakes meant a faster baking time. The Hostess conveyor oven can make about 11,000 cupcakes an hour.
Cupcakes have long been a favorite of mine and I thoroughly enjoy anything miniature. I have made my share of cupcakes for birthdays, and class parties, and my boys never turn down one when I make them. These pumpkin cupcakes were inspired by my soft frosted pumpkin cookies my older son loves. They have a similar flavor profile and pillowy texture that he (and I) adore. These frosted pumpkin cupcakes are a great go-to during the fall/winter season. They can also make an easy Halloween treat should you choose to decorate them accordingly or not.