For my more modern-day twist on this old favorite, I added freshly squeezed orange juice as well as cranberry juice, while being mindful of that critical balance between sweet and sour. I think I found the sweet-spot, so-to-speak, with this gem.
I’m not typically a big whisky drinker myself, but this cocktail is smooth going down and may be just what you need for a change of pace this season. If you’re hosting a holiday party, consider serving this delicious and festive cocktail, your guests will not be disappointed. If whisky is not your thing, be sure to check out my easy mulled wine and holiday sangria recipes.
Cranberry-Orange Whisky Sour
- 3 ounces whisky
- 1 ounce cranberry juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup
- fresh cranberries
- crushed ice
- sugar, for dusting the glass
- thyme sprig, for garnish
- Step 1 Place a good amount of sugar on a small plate. Use a small piece of lemon to set the rim. Dip the glass rim in the sugar to coat.
- Step 2 Fill a lowball glass with a good amount of crushed ice. Set aside.
- Step 3 Using a cocktail shaker, add the whisky, cranberry juice, orange juice, lemon juice and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Step 4 Pour the whisky mixture in to the prepared glass. Garnish with fresh cranberries and a thyme sprig.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
2 thoughts on “Cranberry-Orange Whisky Sour, A Great Cocktail For The Holidays”
Do you use unsweetened cranberry juice or cranberry juice cocktail (like Ocean Spray)?
Thanks so much for reaching out about this cocktail. Always love hearing from readers. The honest truth is, you can use either. I have made it with both, but Ocean Spray will yield a slightly sweeter cocktail.
Wishing you a healthy safe and happy holiday season.