This cabbage and kale slaw is all about simple flavors I love, and can’t get enough of. Sadly, despite its run of fame, kale still gets a bit of a bad rap. But to be frank, I think that has to do with two things inparticular: (1) cleaning it and (2) good flavor balance. Both are equally important.
Kale is something I use often, what can I say, I’m a big fan of leafy greens. Greens, of all varieties, are healthy to eat and beautiful to look at. But kale, like Brussels sprouts, can often be prepared poorly. But here’s a trick; gently massaging the kale leaves with olive oil is something I’ve blogged about before and it does a truly magical thing–it tenderizes and softens the kale leaves. As an alternative, using baby kale, which is more tender, or thinly slicing kale leaves, like I do in this recipe, are other great options. Think American coleslaw, only better.
I call this recipe a slaw, because in addition to the kale, I add shredded red cabbage, which along with the sweet gala apples, adds crunch. Quinoa is another addition and one I love to use in combination with kale. Not only does it add heartiness to a side dish, but it also adds nutty, earthy flavors as well. I dress this simple side with a light, tangy, mustard vinaigrette made with rich, flavorful walnut oil and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts mixed in for some added protein.
The simple flavors of this slaw salad are complimentary to one another and nod to healthy, uncomplicated eating I truly relish. I like to serve this cabbage and kale slaw alongside chicken or a simple piece of grilled or oven roasted fish for easy, but healthy, dinner.
Cabbage And Kale Slaw With Walnut Vinaigrette
- For the Salad:
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 bunch kale, deveined and thinly sliced
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 small gala apples, corned and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- For the Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1 Tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoon walnut oil
- salt and black pepper
- Step 1 In a small pot, cook the quinoa per the package instructions, drain well and allow to cool slightly.
- Step 2 In a large mixing bowl add the kale, cabbage, apples and walnuts and set aside.
- Step 3 For the Mustard Vinaigrette: In a small mixing bowl, add the mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar and mix well. Slowly whisk in the walnut oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 To Serve: Add the cooled quinoa to the kale mixture. Drizzle the dressing top and toast well to coat. Serve right away.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin