If you follow me on Instagram, you already know I am a big fan of overnight oats. Easy, healthy and extremely adaptable. My older son and husband now love almost any combination I make. These are a collection of some of my favorite overnight oat bowls I’ve made and loved. Sometimes I post recipes exclusively on Instagram, but these I wanted to share on my blog as well.
My overnight oat bowls are all made using my basic recipe below, it’s simple and can be done with almost any oat/”milk” combination. My go-to oats are Bob’s Red Mill extra thick whole grain oats and I typically use an unsweetened almond milk making most of my overnight oats vegan-friendly. Soy, oat and rice milk are also great non-dairy options. I have made overnight oats with regular milk so that’s an option as well if your are prefer.
With my overnight oats I really like a blank slate, thus the simple recipe. I use toppings to add flavor, textures and protein-rich combinations depending on what I’m in the mood for. There are however, no bad combinations, it’s all about personal preference. My older son is happy with a little peanut butter and strawberry jam swirled in, so sometimes simple works just as well.
In the basic recipe below I listed some of my go-to toppings, many of which were used in these “top 5 overnight oat bowls” of mine, but the list is by no means exhaustive, so go ahead, get creative and make your mornings even easier.
Blueberry-Coconut Overnight Oats (featured in the photo above):
- One recipe for my basic overnight oats made with vanilla almond milk. The next morning mix in 1-2 tablespoons additional vanilla almond milk, 2 tablespoons fresh blueberry quick jam (or similar), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract, 2 teaspoons agave.
- Top with unsweetened flaked coconut + chai seeds.
Blueberry-Banana Brown Sugar Overnight Oats:
- One recipe for my basic overnight oats made with unsweetened almond milk (I have also made this with oat milk and love as well). The next morning, swirl in 1-2 tablespoons additional almond milk, 1/2 banana, mashed, 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Top with fresh blueberries and more banana, pecans + some golden flax seeds.
Summer Berry Overnight Oats:
- One recipe for my basic overnight oats made with sweetened almond milk. The next morning, mix in 1-2 tablespoons additional almond milk. Stir in a scoop of your favorite protein powder, 1/4 cup mashed strawberries, 1/4 cup smashed blackberries and 1/4 cup smashed blueberries.
- Top with sliced almonds, ground Bourbon vanilla beans, sliced almonds + a drizzle of agave.
Apricot-Almond Overnight Oats:
- One recipe for my basic overnight oats made with unsweetened almond milk. The next morning, swirl in 1-2 tablespoons additional almond milk. Swirl in 2 tablespoons fresh apricot quick jam (or similar), a dash of almond extract, 1 tablespoons almond butter, 1/4 teaspoon ground Bourbon vanilla beans, 2 teaspoons good local honey.
- Top with some sliced almonds + a little bit of chai seeds.
Smashed Cherry-Raspberry Overnight Oats:
- One recipe for my basic overnight oats made with unsweetened vanilla soy milk. The next morning add 2 tablespoons soy milk. Swirl in 1/4 cup smashed raspberries and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Top with 1/2 cup fresh cherries cut in half, 1 tablespoon raw pepitas, 1 teaspoon flax seeds + a generous drizzling of honey.
Basic Overnight Oats Recipe
- For the Oats:
- 1 cup whole grain oats
- 1 cup milk of your choice (this can include almond, soy, oat, rice, flavored or unflavored, sweetened or unsweetened etc.)
- Optional Toppings:
- 1-2 tablespoons additional milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup fruit of any kind
- 2 tablespoons jams or fruit spreds
- 1-2 tablespoons nut butters
- 1-2 tablespoons nuts, chopped or whole
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetener such as honey, agave, brown sugar or apple sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons flax seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons chai seeds
- 1/2-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 Place the oats in a large glass jar airtight container. Add the milk of your choice and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 2 To serve, divide the soaked oats into two shallow serving bowls. Swirl in 1-2 tablespoons of additional milk for your choice. Now for the fun part, begin adding toppings from the list I provided or the overnight oat bowl examples above.