Everyone needs a good basic waffle recipe on hand for Sunday mornings. What makes this recipe work so well is the buttermilk, which adds to the flavor, texture and color, as well as the two types of flour, which helps keep the waffle light and chewy on the inside, but extra crispy on the outside. This recipe can make either sweet or savory waffles, just lower the sugar amount as desired.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Step 1 In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Step 2 In a separate bowl mix together both flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Step 3 Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir well to incorporate.
- Step 4 Lightly spray your waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and preheat.
- Step 5 When the waffle iron is hot, add about 1/3 cup waffle batter. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the waffle iron stops steaming or until crispy.